Sunday, November 02, 2008

House for shelter

My GrnadFather was a farmer.He had acres of agriculture land.In the village, he had a house and a big garden behind it with lots of coconut,mango trees, a pond with fishin it all. It was beautiful.The house he used to stay was bult by his father, with 3 rooms, a kitchen and a big balcony infront of the main bedroom for playing cards, village discussions.I liked the whole combo perfect for staying. But this seems not enough for my grandpa, since he had 3 kids[ my father, my uncle and aunt]. He thought about the need of more living space for his kids, since theny will grow up and will get married oneday. Also the rooms were all old styled though they had lovely stone pillar and heavy teak doors.

Oneday he decided a new house and part of the garden was vicitmised in the plan of the house. A concrete house in place of the outfashioned mud house. Now we have all 9 rooms in the village. 3 were already there, 3 more bedrooms for kids, one store room for agricultural goods, a bigger kitchen and one welcome hall. With the time, my aunt got married and lives happily in another village and come sometimes to visit her father's place. My father was educated enough not to take agriculture as profession and was also ambitious. He moved to the city soon with his wife. My grandfather is no more with us. My only uncle still lives in the village with his businees and family. We dont have any production from farming now. Last time I went to village, we all were using total 3 rooms for all of our needs. Most of the rooms were either have unused furnitures or were dusty.

My father liked the city a lot and with all his savings he bought a new house. It used to have 2 rooms , a kithcen and a hall. it was not big, but enough to accomdate a small family. We had a small garden. 15 years back I used to love it a lot, since it was all beautiful with papaya trees, rose plantations, grassy surface and mom used to grow small tomato plants in them.

One bright sunny day, labourers and contractors dig all our garden. It was a shock to me, but learnt sooner that it is all for us. When we will grow up, we will need more space for living and my father is just enabling that for us. I was happy next day in thought of a bigger house with 4 rooms, 1 hall, 1 kitchen, > 1 toilets. With all of his small savings, it took 9 years for my father to built this 2 storey house. Next year I left bhubaneswar for my engg studies and could not attend the gruha pravesh puja. It never happened since then I stayed in this house for more than 15 days.

Last time I went home, I cleaned all my books and sold them. Since I better like to sleep on floor, I could not use the new cot my father has installed in my room. Mom wants to build 2 more rooms on 2nd floor, since the space will be less once I get married. Also with plane flooring and no distemper paint, they look old fashioned.

On my back journey, I was thinking,

What makes a father build a room, that suffers the absense of his son for ever ?
Why no father has yet learnt the needlessness of more living space, since there is laready abundant unutilized rooms ?
Why hope of a person never gets convinced ?

3 comments:

Gubbi said...

:) Good observation.

Here's hoping Ranjan ji can do better. :)

You should build a house where your parents can come and stay, before they put up that 2nd floor.

Of course, it'll be the same story again, but it's the other way round and maybe you wouldn't have to expand your house for ur kids later. I'm almost turning cruel trying optimize the situation. So, I'll stop it here. :D

Dashboard said...

Fantastic post... you brought forward a relevant point...this has been going on for a long time.. just think of the Mahabharata times and imagine what DHRITARASHTRA would have done for his 100 sons.&. what he would have felt after none of them survived !!!!

Abhijit Pai said...

To me, the best post on your blog yet.