Saturday, January 31, 2009

Warkaphilic

I am handling complex stuff..
In the early years of my job i.e the first 2 years, I used to believe its the energy that brings momentum in a work, Now I also think its the strategy that contributes more. I reached a place, where people are very proffessional about the work, they think they should do what they can, and then go home, chill out. I learnt, its about the sincerity to the work not the seriousness. The work needs to be the best , no compromise. I thank my mentor for made me realize that release of the product/ meeting deadline is a less priority , rather meeting quality and market expectation is a higher one. reward and recognistion just follows.
Today, I argue till I die to prove my point, when I am right I made the team agree to me. I dont tolerate a 15 minute delay in cricket score , when a match is going in between ind vs Sl.Any delay in showing a stale score is going to hamper my customer, the dev lead shouted at me to be so aggressive. But this aggressiveness is what my customer want from me.
Work is personal again. I am committed to beat google.
In aday to day job, I meet a lot of people who are diplomatic, less transparent in doing a task , and thinks its the manager whom they need to prove themselves. They write a doc in the proper format, arrange meetings to show the procedure is followed, attend meeting and put useless comments to show they are not sleeping. I dont attend such meetings where I am not going to understand it, I think my lead is going to support me , but otherwise also I am fine. I am seeing the new perspectives of my life, where I have to outperform the benchmark which I set for myself rather proving me against my manager.
The days are gone, I see making friends with collegues and try to impress them with my jokes. I now try to be a mentor for a task and not a teacher. I think my collegues understand me.
The bottomeline, work is fun and I am there to enjoy it.

3 comments:

Gubbi said...

It's great and heartening to know that you are having fun at work place. It's very essential that you do so.

My comments can't go without nitpicking :D So here is one:

I am committed to beat google.
Why? How does it matter? Why don't you just think about customer experience and let everything else take care of itself? Why do you need to think about beating Google?

Smruti Ranjan said...

@gubbi
Thanks for the comment
The No 1 in market thinks abt customer experience as an accountabilitiy, but for No 2/No 3, the goal is always to beat No 1.. thats what Imeant

Gubbi said...

I'm not able to appreciate the reasoning behind "beat No.1". No. 1 is No. 1 because they think about user experience.

Are you thinking about Google or your customers?

If you have No.1 in sight, there won't be innovation, and not much differentiation.... you'll be a copycat with lame differentiation strategies. For innovating and bringing disruption you need to have customer in sight and feel their pulse at your finger tips.